Thursday, December 11, 2008

Phelps on Lochte

I started reading Michael Phelps' new book, No Limits: The Will to Succeed and it contains some references to Ryan, who MP calls "Doggy."

In terms of MP's swimming rivalry with Ryan, the following was of particular interest (referencing MP's thoughts on the 400IM race in Beijing):

"Though I respect Lochte immensely, love to race him, understand--I was not afraid of him, concerned about him, worried about him."

MP went on to say that what other swimmers do to prepare for a race is out of his control and that is why he doesn't worry about them. He also emphasized that he respects all of his competitors.

Nevertheless, the quote is telling of MP's view of their rivalry and I hope Ryan will use it as motivation to work especially hard to defeat MP in the future. I like and admire MP, but am rooting for Ryan to beat him in a LC event.

No comments: