Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Ryan can win 6-7 gold medals at the Olympics

Here's an article about Ryan by David Briggs of the Columbia (MO) Daily Tribune. I love Ryan's self-confidence and drive to succeed. He has the ability and work ethic to back it up and is never cocky or arrogant.

Ryan Lochte could have gotten used to his post-Olympic routine.

In the four months after winning two gold medals in Beijing, Lochte did a little surfing, made sponsor appearances and went to Florida football games — pretty much anything but swim.
Alas, the pool finally beckoned. He began regularly training two weeks ago.

“You can kind of get sucked into that life and live it for the rest of your life,” Lochte said. “I knew I needed to get back into the pool sooner or later.”

Consider him back. Lochte, who might trail only Michael Phelps as the world’s top swimmer, emerged as the star of the weekend’s Missouri Grand Prix. The 24-year-old former Gator won the 200-meter individual medley (2 minutes, .59 seconds), 400 IM (4:19.49), 100 backstroke (55.16) and 200 back (1:57.73).

Four gold medals, and he’s only getting warmed up.

Lochte said he’s ultimately capable of winning six or seven golds at the Olympics. Like Phelps, the 6-foot-2 Lochte excels in several events. In two Olympics, he has six medals across four events.

But six or seven golds?

“It’s not crazy,” he said. “I’m capable of doing it. I have so many events that I do. I still feel like I can go a lot further in the sport of swimming. What I’ve accomplished already, it’s nowhere near where I can go.”

http://www.columbiatribune.com/news/2009/feb/16/lochte-dives-back-into-competition/?sports

No comments: