Tuesday, April 14, 2009

USA Swimming article refers to Tyler Clary as "the next Ryan Lochte or Michael Phelps"




I am a big fan of Tyler Clary. This article shows he has worked very hard, particularly in the past year, and he has begun to realize his potential. I hope Tyler qualifies for Rome and I look forward to watching him swim for years to come.

Nevertheless, I don't think the real Ryan Lochte is anywhere near finished with his career, and I think he also will continue to improve and achieve great things. Ryan has shown no signs of slowing down after the Olympics, particularly in the IMs and the 200m back, and he is the guy to beat in the U.S., especially if Michael Phelps does not swim those events.

I'd love to see both Tyler and Ryan compete in the 400m IM in Rome. There's a chance they could also both make the U.S. team in the 200m back, but there are several other very stong contenders in that event, including not only Michael Phelps but also Aaron Peirsol.
Tyler's emergence as a great swimmer in all of Ryan's events is a huge benefit to Ryan for the same reason Ryan's emergence was good for Michael Phelps. These guys thrive on competition and racing. The U.S. Trials in July are going to be amazing for swimming fans and Tyler and Ryan will be a huge part of that. I hope they push each other to great times in the 400m IM and 200m back.


No comments: