Friday, November 2, 2012

It's time for a new swimming season to start! - Minnesota Grand Prix next weekend

The Minnesota GP takes place from November 9-11, 2012 at University of Minnesota.  The event is short course yards, which is going to be difficult to get used to after seeing mostly 50 meter meets in 2011-2012.

Here is the psych sheet:  http://www.usaswimming.org/_Rainbow/Documents/a3465818-ead4-47cf-aeed-589b7ac73eef/mn%20grand%20prix%20psych%20sheet.pdf

Ryan is entered in 11 events....which is every individual event except the 200 yard breast, the 1000 yard free and the 1650 yard free.

Event 2 - 200 yard free (Friday)
Event 4 - 100 yard breast (Friday)
Event 6 - 100 yard fly (Friday)
Event 8 - 400 yard IM (Friday)
Event 12 - 200 yard fly (Saturday)
Event 14 - 50 yard free (Saturday)
Event 16 - 100 yard back (Saturday)
Event 18 - 500 yard free (Saturday)
Event 26 - 200 yard IM (Sunday)
Event 28 - 200 yard back (Sunday)
Event 30 - 100 yard free (Sunday)

My guess is he will cut his events down to 6 or 2 per day.  Will predict the 200 free & 100 fly on Friday, the 50 free and 100 back on Saturday and the 200 IM and 100 free on Sunday.  Just guesses though.

In 2008 after the Olympics Ryan performed very well at the Minnesota GP and at Short Course Nationals because he was rested and had not yet begun his hard training.  I think this time is different.  He's been back in hard training for at least a month and he's going to be tired at this meet.  We shall see!

I still want to write my thoughts on Ryan's performance at the Olympics, which I thought was disappointing.  It could be that he over-trained and was tired.  If that was the case, I hope he adjusts his training this time around.  He definitely peaked in 2011, whereas other swimmers were able to time their peaks for 2012.  Is that the result of overtraining in 2012?  I don't know.  

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was so hard to watch Ryan in London; the 2back was particularly brutal! Especially afterwards, everybody was so mean about Ryan not living up to the manufactured hype.
I think the complete opposite, that he was not training enough. It seems like he was dying the last 15 meters every race.
This spring he was missing a bunch of practices due to photo shoots etc. Unfortunately he can't go back and change things, it is going to be a long four years! Thankfully w/o Erika, it seems Ryan has smartened up and is changing agents!

Great blog by the way!

Unknown said...

I agree with you completely. I still can't re-watch the 200 back. While some of the results were disappointing, he in no way deserved all of the backlash. People who don't follow swimming do not understand how hard it is to win 5 medals. Based on Shanghai, though, I thought he would do better.

Where did you hear Ryan is changing agents? I had not heard anything about it.

Anonymous said...

I know Shanghai was awesome! I want to know what Coach Troy and Ryan really think happened in London, but I don't blame them for not wanted to discuss it in detail though. I am glad he is staying at UF to train, that is so much smarter than moving to LA.

Mostly just speculation and rumors at this point, but hopefully they will be substantiated soon. I hate to use twitter as a resource, but something seems off. His pa, Shawn changed her bio to eliminate Erika and his team no longer follows one another. I think he is keeping Shawn and fired Erika, which is a good move in my book. For example, last night during 90210, she did not tweet about it; bizarre for someone who thinks Ryan's twitter account is an extension of herself.

In my opinion it is a smart move, Erika did not handle anything well post-London, especially the publicity! There was all this talk of deals and opportunities; they did not pick too wisely and did not sign any new endorsements.

Unknown said...

Coach Troy talks a little about what happened in London on the video I posted in the entry right after this one. Will be interesting to see if Ryan replaced Erika. I hated it when she took over his twitter, which was so obvious.

Anonymous said...

I will watch it thanks!
I talked to some people with close ties and she is definitely gone for good! His family and friends were not happy with how things were being handled and really got through to him. He sees how bad things were, which led to going their separate ways.

P.S. They finally took down the store for "maintenance"; it made me sick how they were taking advantage of his young fans all summer & fall to pad their wallets, using his personal twitter account.
How do you spell unprofessional? E-R-I-K-A