Sunday, January 18, 2009

Ryan's Future Swimming Plans

Ryan has begun to flesh out his future swimming plans, as explained in an insightful article written by Lisa Dillman and published in today's L.A. Times. Read it here: http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-swim18-2009jan18,0,6794892.story

Here are some of the interesting quotes from Ryan about his plans:

"I feel I haven't accomplished what I think I'm capable of doing," he said.Which would be?"I think I'm capable of getting like six or seven golds at an Olympics," Lochte said. "I know in the events that I swam, I know I'm a lot faster. And I know I can do more events. That's what I'll be going for."

It's exciting for him to say he believes he can win 6 or 7 golds at the next Olympics. I believe it too and am happy that he is going to train for this type of a program.

To that end, his program schedule will be adjusted leading up to London in 2012. Gone, probably after this year, will be the grueling 400 individual medley, barring a drastic change of heart. He earned bronze in Beijing in that event to Michael Phelps' gold, and Phelps has indicated he won't be swimming the 400 individual medley, either.All this finally gives hope to the other American men having to exist in the wake of the potent one-two punch of Phelps and Lochte in the event all these years.

Said Lochte, smiling: "They can go through that pain, not us. It's all yours."

This makes so much sense! Ryan can focus on the shorter, sprint events and the 200's. I don't think he'll have as much chance for disappointment with the 100 back if he eliminates the 400 IM. It's similar to what Michael Phelps is going to do.

The elimination of the 400 IM from Ryan's training also clears the way for guys like Tyler Clary. Tyler has been improving so much in the 400 IM during the NCAA season. I started writing a post about his accomplishments and hope to finish it soon. If Tyler keeps improving in this event, he could win gold at the 2012 Olympics.

[Ryan] still could swim the 400 individual medley at the world championships this summer in Rome, but hasn't made a final decision. Beyond that, he will be making changes.

It would be nice to see Ryan and Laszlo Cseh battle it out one more time in the 400 IM at the world championships in Rome. Nevertheless, they always have the 200 IM, and the 400 IM would not be quite the same without Michael Phelps, so it won't break my heart if Ryan decides to eliminate the 400 IM sooner.

"I'm going to start doing shorter events, so I think my training is going to go down a little," Lochte said. "Which is smart because I'm getting older, my body is getting older. It can't take the beating that much."

At 24, Lochte is clearly in his prime, and so it sounds funny to hear him talk about getting older. But the years of training have taken a toll.

"I can feel it," he said. "Before I could do back-to-back events, like no problem. I'd be fine. Now I do one event and I'm like, I'm tired. Very tired."It's all the hard work I've been doing. It's catching up. Especially now because I'm just starting to get back into things. Now, it's like, 'Man, I cannot get up. I'm sore!' "

Lochte and his longtime coach Gregg Troy are in agreement on paring his program, and Lochte sounded almost philosophical the way he is approaching his body of work in the pool.

"I guess I got through 2008 -- that was the end of my swimming career," he said. "And now, it's time to start another one. That's the way we're pretty much approaching it. We're off to a slow start. . . . It feels like I haven't been in the water in years.

Ryan does not say specifically what events he is going to focus on, but my guess is the 200 IM, 200 free, 200 back, 100 back and 100 free. He could eliminate fly and breast from his training altogether if he eliminates the 200 IM, but I hope he does not do that because he is so good in all four strokes and he's said in the past that 200 IM is his favorite event.

In order to win 6 or 7 gold medals in the Olympics, Ryan needs to qualify for all 3 relays. The 100 back would get him in the 400 medley relay and the 100 free would get him in the 400 free relay.

Ryan says he has greater difficulty swimming more than one event per day as he gets older. If the 200 free and 100 back and the 200 back and 200 IM are again swum on the same day in international competitions, it will be interesting to see if Ryan competes in all 4 events. He may still have to choose between the 100 back and 200 free or he may decide to eliminate the 200 IM. These will be difficult choices.

I do think he is capable of performing well in all of these events and I can't wait to see how the next 3.5 years unfold.

No comments: