Saturday, August 29, 2009

Ryan makes U.S. National Team & Video of Ryan's underwater kicking

This is the offseason for swimming, so there's not much news to report.

The 2009-2010 U.S. National Team was announced, and Ryan made the team in 5 events. The swimmers with the top 6 times for each event make the team. The qualifying swims were at U.S. Nationals, Worlds and the U.S. Open, and could be done in the prelims, semis or finals.

Ryan made the team in the 100/200 free, 200 back and 200/400 IM. The only difference from last year is he did not make the team in the 100 back. This is only because he elected not to swim 100 back at U.S. nationals.

The complete roster can be found here: http://www.usaswimming.org/USASWeb/_Rainbow/Documents/8e442aff-894d-4948-98f6-9085f2a6eaf0/2009-2010%20National%20Team%20roster.pdf
I'm not sure what benefits a swimmer gets from being on the U.S. National Team. A lot of the swimmers are still competing in college, and I would think NCAA rules would prohibit them from receiving any outside assistance in the form of $ or benefits. Professional and high school swimmers, on the other hand, may benefit greatly. If I can find anything out about the benefits, I will make a post.

Here's a video of Ryan swimming 50 meters underwater in 25.0 seconds. It was just uploaded today so it's probably recent.

1 comment:

LzzyBee1 said...

Sorry, I just saw this post and it made me remember that I had read about the benefits available to National Team members before... Here's what I found.

Athlete Benefits