Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Swimnetwork.com - 21 Questions with Ryan Lochte by Bob Schaller





By Bob Schaller, Ph.D. // Swimnetwork Senior Writer

Ryan Lochte always has time to make someone smile, or share a light moment. We caught him on his couch on Sunday watching football, where the topics ranged from his Florida Gators to how he deals with pressure at the biggest meets.

1) What are you doing this Sunday afternoon?
Ryan: I am doing well. I’m just sitting on my couch watching my TV.

2) How did you follow up 2008 with such a strong 2009?
Ryan: There are some things I wanted to do better, and some things that I did accomplish this year. So things went pretty well.

3) I didn’t catch the whole “Jeah” thing from its inception – is that like “Yeah” but only your version?
Ryan: Well, the real word is “chea,” it’s music... from a rapper. Instead of “chea,” I said “jeah” with a “J.” You know, kind of made it my own.

4) Did you think that would become such a famous line of yours – it was all over the Internet?
Ryan: No, I didn’t think it would become famous – I still don’t (laughs) think it is!

5) I always enjoyed talking to your father – is that where this laid back attitude and your grounded perspective come from?
Ryan: It does come a lot from your parents. You don’t want to let the attention get to your head. That’s how it’s always been for me.

6) How about another Lochte getting after it?
Ryan: Oh, my brother? I think it’s great. I just keep trying to tell him not to live in my shadow, and for him to be his own person. But he’s working hard and going to school, to all his classes, and doing well. I give it another year, and then he’ll be lighting stuff up.

7) So you are back in Florida training?
Ryan: Yep. Once you are a Gator you are always a Gator.

8) What are the odds the Gators win the BCS this year?
Ryan: Oh my gosh, there’s no question about that. I think we’ll definitely win again.

9) How did you do in Beijing in relation to how you hoped to do?
Ryan: I mean, for the most part, I definitely wanted to win all my races there. My longest-term goal was getting a gold medal – an individual gold medal.

10) Where does Reezy come from?
Ryan: I don’t know. ‘Cause I’m a big fan of Little Wayne, I think. He gets called “Wheezy,” so I guess a bunch of fans knew that I always listened to his music.

11) How do you deal with all that attention?
Ryan: I mean, like I said, it goes in one ear and out the other. I don’t pay much attention to it. But it is kind of cool to know there are fans out there. I appreciate them, for sure.

12) Will you stay in Florida, or do you plan to move away at some point?
Ryan: Well, I don’t know. It depends. I’ll definitely stay here until 2012 and train. Then, I’ll decide after that what to do.

13) How about the other coast – could you see yourself on Dancing With The Stars?
Ryan: Yeah, I’d do that – I’d show some people up!

14) Do you watch media coverage of yourself much?
Ryan: No. I mean, if I’m not swimming, if I’m on a break, sometimes I’ll watch a video of one of my races. It makes me want me get back into swimming and into the water and it keeps me motivated.

15) You’re laid back outside the pool, but that changes once you hit the water, doesn’t it?
Ryan: Oh yeah, I don’t know what it is, but as soon as I step on the blocks, I’m not a laid back person any more. I don’t know how it happens, but it does.

16) What was the most special part about Beijing?
Ryan: It was special just because I had my whole family there.

17) They really keep you grounded in a good way, don’t they?
Ryan: Yeah, they just keep telling us, “No matter what happens, you are still going to be yourself. Don’t let anything else change that.” That’s always stuck with me.

18) Your Dad’s a good interview – you guys ever give each other media advice?
Ryan: Uh, no. I mean, we never really talked about how to deal with the media. It’s kind of, just like swimming, the more you practice, the better you get at it. So, yeah, it’s kind of like that with the media; the more you do, the more you get comfortable talking into a camera.

19) Did you feel pressure at Olympic Trials or World Team Trials?
Ryan: I try not to put any pressure on myself, because if I do I’ll be a nervous wreck. I always think of myself as like the underdog, no matter what. I put that on me so I have no expectations for myself – I just go out there and swim.

20) In Omaha, your face lit up as much as the young fans you were signing autographs for – does that mean a lot to you and where does that pure joy come from?
Ryan: I think it goes back to me just being humble. Anytime I sign an autograph or get a picture with someone, it feels it’s like the first time I’m doing that. It never gets old. I’ll sign autographs galore. I’ll never not sign them – I’ll go until someone yells at me that it’s time to stop.

And this extra question:

21) What’s your plan as far as suits go – how do you feel about all the changes in the rules affecting the technology?
Ryan: Whatever suit they give us. I’m going to stick with Speedo. I’m just going to stick with Speedo because I’m most comfortable with them.

No comments: