Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Ryan injured??!!

Ryan had a groin injury a few days ago and cannot swim breaststroke. He may not be able to compete in the IMs at nationals. If he misses the IMs there are still lots of events he can swim, but the IMs are my favorite!

I really hope he's OK. It would be a shame if he is precluded from swimming the IMs at 2011 worlds if he can't compete at this year's nationals. Not really sure how that works.

Here's the link to the article a short clip from his interview with swimmingworld.tv:

http://tinyurl.com/38y3ck3



The full interview will be posted on Friday.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was thinking about the qualification criteria for '11 WCs and wondered if it would be possible for him to make that team even if he didn't swim it at nationals. If a swimmer makes the Pan-Pac team in any event, I believe they can swim any other events they want at the competition. He'd have another couple weeks to recover. If he put up a faster time than the 1st/2nd ranked US swimmer from nationals, then I believe he could be selected for the '11 WC team, since the qualification is based on nationals and PanPacs, if I remember correctly. I'm having trouble finding the right document on this subject, though.

Unknown said...

Thanks so much for your comment! I looked up the qualifying rules for the Pan Pacs and you are exactly right. I made a post about it and cited to the rules so you can read them. I will read the qualifying rules for 2011 Worlds and post them next.

I think it is interesting that 2010 Nats/Pan Pacs serve as qualifiers for the 2010 Short Course Worlds. Never would have guessed that.