Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Ryan's training partner Peter Vanderkaay talks about his move to Florida

Really good interview. I'm happy they will be training together.

http://www.swimnetwork.com/news/swimming/blogs/bob-schaller/2010/12/20-question-tuesday-peter-vanderkaay.aspx

20 Questions with Peter Vanderkaay by Bob Schaller

He took the big check at the Charlotte UltraSwim, yet those who overlooked Peter Vanderkaay in the run-up coverage of the meet should have been paying attention to the Michigan standout over the years. He has become one of the most versatile – and consistent – swimmers in the world. He talks about his big switch to train with Ryan Lochte at Florida, and how deep his Michigan roots remain in this week’s 20 Question Tuesday.

1) So this move – that’s why we postponed the interview, isn’t it?

Peter: I have known (laughs) about it for a little while. It was something I was thinking about all fall. I didn’t want to be disingenuous with an interview; I wanted to do it after I made things public.

2) Why change training locations/programs/coaches now?

Peter: For me, just my career in general... I’ve been at Michigan for almost nine years. I have enjoyed my time and really grown as a person at Michigan. But I felt like if I was going to make a push the next 18 months, I had to get out of my comfort zone and shake it up. I thought going to Florida would do that.

3) Ah, the truth is, you’re done with college, hitting the mid-20s, ready for shuffleboard and condo newsletters at La Boca Vista – just the time and age ripe for a move to Florida?

Peter: Yes! That’s what old (laughs) people do, right?

4) This really isn’t unheard of, is it?

Peter: It might come as a surprise to some people. But I think if you look around the sport, very few people stay in one place for very long. I’ve been very fortunate to have this relationship with Michigan. Looking back now, it makes sense to kind of move around, and have a new experience.

5) Your brothers at Michigan, your parents – that Michigan bond remain stronger than ever?

Peter: I think so. I’d like to keep that connection with Michigan for as long as I am alive. I love Michigan, the school, the athletic department, the community, and want to stay involved as much as I can. Just because I don’t live in Ann Arbor doesn’t mean I can’t still do that – most Michigan alumni are no longer in the city, or even the state, and they are as involved as ever.

6) Did you consider other places to train besides Florida?

Peter: I thought about a lot of different places. Ever since I was recruited by (Florida coach) Gregg Troy 10 years ago (coming out of high school), I have always respected him and that program. I thought he’d be a good fit coaching me. I think Gregg is a coach who is a tremendous planner and he knows how to get the best out of people. I felt very comfortable making this move and putting my career in his hands. I am also excited about the possibility about training with Ryan and Conner and some of the others who are great swimmers, it sounded appealing.

7) Training with the 2012 Olympic coach, training with the reigning “best swimmer in the world” – lot of ingredients there for success, especially training with Ryan Lochte, aren’t there?

Peter: I hope so. We do a little bit different events but we overlap in the 200 freestyle. When it comes down to workouts, hopefully we’ll be able to push each other and bring out the best in each other and help each other improve. This is hopefully something that we can do to put USA Swimming in the best position possible as the Olympic Trials and Games come up – we want to, as a country, put our best foot forward.

8) I remember talking to people before the UltraSwim and was just astounded that you were not mentioned as a contender for the $20K – did you plan to go after the big check or was it a product of the program itself?

Peter: Maybe both. You know, I just knew that anyone who put together three strong events would be in contention for some prize money. It made the meet more exciting. I didn’t go there thinking “Make this $20,000 or bust” – I just wanted to go race and have fun. When they came out with that prize money it really excited a lot of people because there are not opportunities in swimming to win that kind of money. I ended up coming out with the prize money. But what it was, when it is all said and done, was just a great opportunity to race.

9) Your brothers swam in college, you swam for your hometown university, have gone to the Olympics, Worlds – have you looked back and yet and said, “Wow”?

Peter: It’s been an incredible journey through the sport so far. To train with my brothers, go to the Olympic Games – and the honor of representing the United States – it’s very special, and it’s something I would like to continue, as well.

10) Phelps, Lochte, Peirsol, Crocker, Hanson – what’s it been like to be part of arguably the best men’s team in U.S. history, and maybe in the history of the world?

Peter: It’s been really exciting to be on these teams the past few years and swim with those guys, and watch some of the performances; to be on the inside of that National Team has been an incredible experience. Some of these guys are the best swimmers in the history of the world. To have these experiences is priceless, I think.

11) Is Lochte ready to assume, or continue, carrying that torch as the “best swimmer in the world?”

Peter: He’s been an incredible swimmer for a long time. It’s really great to see the success he’s having. I admire Ryan a lot for all he’s been able to do. For a long time he was kind of in the shadows and waiting for that breakout performance and we saw that this summer. I am excited for him. I’m excited to be there and watch and wait for him to do more incredible things. He’s very special in the water; he’s so much fun to watch compete because he can do so many strokes, almost all the events... his underwaters are incredible and he adds so much to relays. And he is such a tremendous personality in the sport.

12) Going from Urbie and Bowman to Bottom and Troy – not bad coaches you have had?

Peter: Definitely. I have been very fortunate to work with some of the best coaches in the world, and to learn from each of them, and to work with the other athletes who have been with them.

13) How amazing has this ride been?

Peter: It’s definitely a great experience. I don’t even know if I will be able to appreciate it while it is happening as much as I will when I look back. However long down the road, I will look back and think, “That really was an incredible experience. I was able to do something very few people had the opportunity to do.” So I do understand that it has been, and is, pretty special.

14) I think of the guys who you trained with and went to school with at Michigan: Davis Tarwater, Chris DeJong, Chris Thompson – and there are more I am leaving out – and later Matt Patton and your brother, Alex. These are brilliant young men, outstanding people, in addition to being great swimmers, aren’t they?

Peter: It was definitely a lot of fun. Those guys are some of my best friends. To be able to train with them, and outside the pool talk to them about any number of things, that was pretty cool. I still keep in touch with those guys; obviously, we talk about any number of things outside the pool. It’s interesting to hear the opinions of people who are that bright. And I appreciate their friendships. We’ve had a lot of smart guys come through here.

15) You go from freestyle ace to distance – why change?

Peter: I think, especially since ’08 was the year I kind of came into my own, that I wanted to swim a couple of different events in the Olympics. So I have to ask myself, where do I go from there? I’d love the opportunity to swim those same events in 2012, and that’s kind of what I’m working toward right now. I’m making the move from what happened in China to solidify my run toward 2012 Trials and hopefully London.

16) Going from the wonderfully chilly Michigan to sunshine and sand – you ready?

Peter: It’ll definitely be a new experience for me. I have lived in Michigan my whole live and never trained outdoors year round because this time of year we are having the cold weather set in. I’m actually more worried about dealing with the heat in the summer because I know it gets hot, and humid, down there.

17) Did Lochte support this move?

Peter: Yes, I saw him in Dubai and at Golden Goggles. I think he’s definitely excited. We have the makings so far of a really good training group. It’s something to get excited about. Ryan has been really supportive.

18) Talking to your brothers and knowing how amazing your parents are, I have to ask: How much has that solid support helped you and how important is that direction, emphasis on education, and holding you and your brothers accountable for decisions growing up, been as you moved onto college and becoming a pro athlete?

Peter: Definitely, my family is something that is very important to me – it’s something I can appreciate more as a I get older. There are lessons I didn’t have to learn the hard way because my parents instilled it at a young age, and I am very thankful for that. They have always been very supportive of my swimming, but always made school the most important thing in our home.

19) You ready for the big move?

Peter: I have been running around tying up loose ends. Now that we’re all kind of scattered all over the place, we get home and have good meals, play games and do some stuff outside. In our family, the important thing is spending time together.

20) Is your success a product of talent or the process you’ve had in place during this incredible run?

Peter: I think it’s a little of both. Mostly, it’s about doing the work and letting the process take care of itself. I talk to a lot of kids around the country, and I tell them, “When I was your age, I never would have dreamed I would go to the Olympic Games, let alone win medals.” That dream didn’t come until later when I got to that level and realized what opportunities were in front of me – only then did I get excited about it and focus on it. It was at that point the dreaming took place. When I got into this sport, I had no idea in my wildest dreams that it would turn out like this.

No comments: