Wednesday, August 1, 2012

US Wins 4 x 200m Free Relay - Lochte leads off





Ryan Lochte, Conor Dwyer, Ricky Berens and Michael Phelps combined to win the 4 x 200m free relay.  The splits were as follows:
Ryan led off the relay and Michael Phelps swam anchor, the first time I can remember them taking on those roles.  I would have liked to see Ryan swim anchor and hold off Agnel, because I believe that would have been a great confidence boost for him.  Regardless, winning the gold by so much and doing so well seems to have done the trick.

Ryan has his toughest days of the meet coming up on Wednesday and Thursday with the 200m back and 200m IM double.  Everyone will forget about the 200 free if he can pull off the double.  I have been waiting so long for Thursday and can't believe it is almost here.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amazing 4x200 RELAY. But somehow the media forgot that there were 3 other people on that squad. As I said before the anchor gets all the blame if they loose but all the glory if they win.

I get that this is Michaels moment. I was getting teary eyed as Michael made history and was getting his medal. But I cringe when I see articles that act as though Michael won that by himself. I just find it disrespectful when you don't even acknowledge Conor, Ricky and Ryan. They basically handed Michael a lead so huge not even Angel could chase him down.

Let me be clear...it's the media that is bumming me out. Michael said in the post race interview that the are as one on that relay. HE understands and can acknowlege what is really going on.

Lochte got HAMMERED to a ridiculous amount in the media after the 4x100. I don't know how many articles that claimed that he choked. Does anyone think Michael choked because he got a silver in the 200fly? Did Missy Franklin choke because she got 4th in the 200 free?

Ok. rant over. Hopping off my soap box.

Unknown said...

Thanks for your comment! you are exactly right. All is well when you win the gold. The anchor gets the media glory when you win and is creamed when you lose.

I still think it was absolutely the right decision to put Ryan on the 400 free relay. I'm just not sure if it was right to put him in the anchor position. But who am I to second guess the smartest swimming coaches the US has? I'm sure they knew what they were doing. They certainly had a lot of time to think about the relays during the 4-week training camp.

Gregg Troy knows Ryan best. I'm not going to question his decision simply because Agnel had an out-of-his-mind swim.