Friday, July 24, 2009

Ryan has been practicing outdoors to get ready for World Championships

At a press conference today in Rome, Ryan said he's been practicing outside for the past year to prepare himself to swim backstroke at the world championships, which will take place outdoors. Here's what he said (from http://www.swimnews.com/News/view/7073)

One other aspect of swimming outdoors was highlighted when Olympic champion Ryan Lochte (USA) revealed that he had been practising outdoors on backstroke for the past year specifically with a view to learning how to swim straight with only sky and sun above you. "It's going to be challenging for most swimmers because you don't have a ceiling to look at," he said. "When I was younger ... I never swam outside...so its hard for me but after Beijing I knew Rome was outside and have practiced mostly outside since amnd have learned to swim in a straight line."

I can barely back my car in a straight line. I can't imagine swimming straight without a point of reference. I hope practicing outdoors gives him an extra advantage.

Also, an article from Sports Illustrated today talked about how Ryan has a good shot at breaking the WR in the 200 IM. The article states:

"......don't be surprised if Phelps loses one of his world records in an event he has chosen not to swim. When Phelps set a personal best of 1:54.23 in winning the 200-meter individual medley at the Beijing Games, it marked the eighth time he lowered the world record in that event since 2003. Now Ryan Lochte, Phelps' relay teammate, is just three-tenths away from the record.

After six months of enjoying post-Olympic life as a self proclaimed late-sleeper and overeater, Lochte actually shocked himself when he won nationals in 1:54.56 earlier this month, beating the field by a second and a half. And watch the showdown between Lochte and Aaron Peirsol in the 200 back. That should be a one-two finish with both men challenging Peirsol's world record of 1:53.08."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/brian_cazeneuve/07/24/swim/

No mention of the 400 IM, which I think Ryan is going to win also.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

When I used to swim when I was little, it was in an outdoor pool. One of the most embarrassing things to happen was when I was told to do lap of the backstroke on a particularly sunny day. I learned closing your eyes is not a good idea and that it's quite possible to go in a little circle...over and over.

It's good to know Ryan's been practicing in an outdoor pool specifically to prepare for Rome. I hope that gives him something of an edge because the 200 back competition is going to be so tight, I'm worried.