Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Ryosuke Irie's WR-breaking suit not on FINA Approved List?

When Ryosuke Irie broke Ryan Lochte's world record in the 200m back, he was wearing a suit developed in a collaborative effort by Descente, Arena and Japanese swimming. Several Descente and Arena suits made the approved list issued by FINA yesterday, but nobody seemed to be sure if the suit worn by Irie was on the list. Now an article has been published with quotes from Descente and Japanese swimming officials indicating that Irie's suit was not on the approved list.

Here's a link to the article. http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5hhKwENfdRAc5qPphLSvC3kCLhseA

Here are the relevant parts:

Descente said Irie's swimsuit cleared the FINA standards of "buoyancy and/or thickness" but failed to meet a rule related to elements "which create an air/water trapping effect during use."

***

"Even if his swimsuit was not approved, it wouldn't reduce his value," Japan's national swimming team head coach Norimasa Hirai told Japanese media.

Irie was wearing leggings that, according to the article cited above, were "covered with a rubber-like material from hip to ankle." I said before I could not imagine how leggings could really help someone go faster, but apparently they help the swimmer's hips and legs stay positioned higher in the water.

FINA has not yet issued a statement as to whether WRs set in non-approved suits will be recognized.

7 comments:

LzzyBee1 said...

Off topic, but since you were unable to watch the Universal Sports coverage over the weekend that you can now watch it on their website... All 3 days of coverage, 2+ hours each... Also, looks like they are going to be covering Santa Clara as well as Indy and Rome... YAY!!!

Unknown said...

Thank you!! I'm definitely watching the Ultraswim coverage. I learn so much by listening to the announcers.

Caroline said...

Thought I'd pass these along. Two great shots taken at Splashdown.

Website: http://jerryenglehart.wordpress.com/2009/05/

http://jerryenglehart.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/lochte1.jpg

http://jerryenglehart.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/lochte1a.jpg

Unknown said...

Thanks so much for the photos Caroline. They are really good.

Sorry I have not updated in a while. There has not been much swimming news to report and I just moved across the country this weekend. Will write some updates soon.

LzzyBee1 said...

Does anybody know if the Psych Sheets for Santa Clara have been posted anywhere yet?... I read somewhere that they had but I can't find anything... Thanks

Unknown said...

I saw something about Ryan and Santa Clara on twitter, but have not been able to find the psych sheet yet. I've kind of been waiting for it to do a new post.

Caroline said...

I've been looking online for the Psych sheet too but no luck either. I'll be picking up my tickets tomorrow for the meet and I may just ask them. Will pass it along if they give me the info.