Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Video of Ryosuke Irie's entire WR swim in 200m back

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cslxxJU-A5U

Here's the youtube link for the entire race. It is from Australian television, so the commentary is in English. I could not get the video to embed.

Notice how Irie's head is so still and he just zips through the water. It doesn't seem like the suit made a difference, but what do I know.

I've noticed in previous races that Irie's underwater kicking is nothing special, although in this race it is better. He must be working on it. Nevertheless, Ryan is so much bigger and stronger and athletic than Irie. I think if Ryan is rested and feeling good in July, he'll be able to beat Irie and get the world record back regardless of the suit. The only thing that worries me is the idea that long course races favor swimming technique over athleticism.

None of this takes away from Irie's accomplishment, which is really amazing.

No comments: