Sunday, June 14, 2009

Ryan wins 100 back at Santa Clara Grand Prix; 4th in 100 Free

100m Back
Thanks to my friend Lisa (calidreamn08) for the great screen shot from the 100 back awards ceremony. Yes, Ryan came in 1st and beat Michael Phelps for the first time in a long course event. This was way overdue and hopefully it will not be the last time it happens.

Ryan's winning time was 54.15. Phelps was 2nd with a time of 54.31. Ashley Delaney was 3rd with a time of 54.41. Matt Grevers was 4th with a time of 54.96. It was really close. Ryan was ahead at the 50m mark and held on to win despite a surge from Phelps in the final meters.

It is interesting to note that last year the Charlotte Ultraswim was held from June 5-8, 2008, around the same time as the Santa Clara meet this year. It was also a few weeks before nationals/trials. Ryan swam a 54.0 in the 100 back in Charlotte one year ago. He's right there again with a 54.15 same time this year.

Rowdy Gaines noted after the race that the times were not even in the top 10 in the world this year. I think it's OK given that other than Aaron Peirsol's 53.32, which he swam at the Charlotte Ultraswim, it appears that the other top 10 times were achieved in the world championship qualifying meets where the swimmers were tapered. It makes me feel good that Ryan's time is only .15 off of where he was a year ago at the same point in his training.

Nevertheless, I don't know what this means for nationals. Aaron Peirsol is still the guy to beat and with Grevers, Phelps, Hesen, Thoman, Marshall and others, it is easily the toughest event for the men. It's also the same day as the 200 free (events 9 and 10!!) I hope Ryan decides to swim the 100 back because he's such a great competitor but I hope he swims the 200 free as well. It's going to take a tremendous effort but I think he can do well in both events.

For now, I hope he savors the win and that it gives him confidence going into nationals in a few weeks.

100 Free

Ryan is not a sprinter, and I didn't expect him to win this event. Nevertheless, I hoped he would finish in the top 3. He almost made it, finishing 4th overall and 3rd among the Americans with a time of 49.18. It was Ryan's fastest time in the 100 free this year and he has to be pleased with the result. He had a great start and went out fast, and was in 3rd at the turn ahead of Phelps.

The event was won by Brent Hayden of Canada with a time of 48.44. Phelps was 2nd with a time of 48.87 and Nathan Adrian was 3rd with a time of 48.94.

I think this shows Ryan has a good shot at finishing in the top 6 in this event at nationals and qualifying for a spot on the 4 x 100 free relay. He finished 3rd among U.S. swimmers at this meet in a very strong field. Notably absent were Garrett Weber-Gale and Cullen Jones, but even if they are faster, Ryan would be right there in the top 6. Jason Lesak is not going to compete at nationals which is not great for the team, but increases Ryan's chance of making the relay.

Both Ryan and Michael had a great meet, but I'm happy to report that Ryan won the high point award with 3 first place finishes, 1 second and 1 fourth (out of 6 events). Michael won 2 events and had 2 second place finishes. That's really amazing for both of them.

I don't think Ryan has any more meets before nationals, which start on July 7. There will be a lot to speculate on before then.

ETA: Here's a link for the 100 back race on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0CAFMvFoPw

4 comments:

LzzyBee1 said...

I finally got to watch the races from last night… YAYYYY RYAN, YOU ROCK!!!... I just had too much to do this weekend and last night was a conflict between "Boys in Speedos" and "Boys in Tights" and unfortunately I had paid for one (not to mention having an extra glass of wine afterwards), so I crashed when I got home… I couldn't even look at tweets all day because I wanted to experience it without knowing what happened… Thank you hoipolloi and Caroline for all the great updates and pics… Those Dobson pics are to die for… My 6 yr old niece just started swimming and her team is called the Penguins so I forwarded the pic of the white Speedo to my sister with the caption, "This ain't no Penguin!" and she immediately called me to say, "I just told my husband that I am leaving him and moving back to FL"… LOL

Hoipolloi thanks so much for all the analysis and research you are doing… I could never make sense of all the times, etc, let alone what is happening at all the other meets around the world… It really makes me realize just how incredible the Worlds will be to watch with all the different swimmers and factors involved… I really wish I had known this much last summer for the Olympics.

Just a couple of observations about the whole meet: 1) I really loved Summer Sanders interviews, they were so much fun and the swimmers seemed to really enjoy talking to her the way they do GMM; and 2) Every meet that I have watched before this one did the finals in the order of C, B, A... This one did them A, B, C… Obviously doesn't affect the outcome but it was just something that confused me and I wondered why it isn't more standardized?

Unknown said...

Summer Sanders was great. You can tell the swimmers really respect her and she asks appropriate questions. I hope NBC uses her for interviews at nationals and world championships.

Rowdy Gaines talked about how the Santa Clara meet officials elected to have the A final first and how at most meets the A final is last. The Santa Clara meet has been going on for 42 years so it could be a tradition. I agree it was confusing, at least at first.

Thanks so much for reading and contributing. It's so nice to cool to learn about swimming with other new fans and to not be made to feel stupid about it.

Unknown said...

oh and I loved your sister's reaction to the Dobson photos. They are amazing. Wish they'd work at every meet.

LzzyBee1 said...

I must have missed Rowdy's comments about the order of the finals... I guess I will have to force myself to watch it again... LOL... Maybe by the time I actually get to attend one of these meets I'll have it all figured out... Until then I am going to have to keep my eyes open on the streets of Manhattan since Ryan seems to spend so much time here... I died a few weeks ago when I saw the pics on Universal Sports of him swimming at Asphalt Green... I live 4 blocks from there!!!... ARGHHHHH... Maybe I should volunteer to clean the pool or something the next time... Is there such a thing as a "towel girl"?

Also, I totally agree with you about Summer Sanders being there for the Nationals and Worlds... My guess is that she will since she has now signed on with Universal Sports which is a subsidiary of NBC... Sounds like more fun interviews to come!